CleggThis

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Chain Linked Fence

I am going to write this post from my perspective. A declaration if you will from the Editor-in-Chief of CleggThis, Barry Clegg himself.

I just read this article on Yahoo! And to answer your question, yes I was checking my fantasy football team when I came across it. But it speaks to a time that I can remember, when Friendly Fenway wasn't so friendly.

My father, who I won't pass off as an avid Red Sox fan, but is a fan nonetheless. He will not go to Fenway Park. This comes as a shock to most people, but if you knew his history of the place, you may understand why, and as his son, I can't blame him.

My first 2 visits to Fenway were with my dad, but they aren't fuzzy wuzzy stories you would here on one of those new Kleenex commercials. No, these memories are more of the traumatic kind.

Visit #1: My first game.
So I sold enough candy bars for the Chelmsford Little League (CLL for us insiders) to get a free bleacher seat at a Red Sox game. My father, being the saint he is, volunteered to be one of the chaperone's, so he got a seat as well. Finally, I was going to see the likes of Wade Boggs and Mike Greenwel, eat some cracker jacks and have a soda. What WSBK TV38 and Sean McDonough never told me when I watched the games at home is they serve beer at baseball games. Since my father hardly ever touched a drink, I had never seen "drunk people", and if I did, I probably just figured they were being goofy. So halfway through the game....BAM! Some drunk guy throws a lighter from about 30 rows up and it smashes me in the head right behind the ear. Blood everywhere. In the haste to et me to first aid, we were stopped, but the dreaded chain linked fence that separated the "bleacher-creatures" from the rest of the stadium. And wouldn't you know it, first aid was behind home plate. With blood covering up the concrete under the stands, the guy at the gate refused to let us through, since we only had bleacher tix.

This story probably won't show up on the CW's "Sox Stories."

So go ahead America, blame us for the being the new Yankees, argue our payroll is too high and we are now the favorites. Believe me, I hate the pink hat wearing, "Johnny Damon was the only good centerfielder we ever had" fans who pay thousands for World Series tix. But don't look my way, because I remember Ellis Burks, and like Curt Schilling, have done my share of bleeding Red Sox red.

2 Comments:

  • I'm crying red tears right now for little Barry. With your 'first aid for the wealthy' story, I can see why class is such a big issue for you.

    My first trip to Fenway, Catholic school field trip and Mr. Jim Rice hit a grand slam.

    My darling wife Jennifer's first trip to Fenway? Derek Lowe's no-hitter.

    No blood, no lighters. But your story is better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 25, 2007 4:39 PM  

  • Thanks,
    I appreciate it.

    I still have to get photographed from the left, its my good side.

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at October 25, 2007 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home