CleggThis

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Greatest Game Ever...Lost.

While you were out drinking bottle after bottle of water to get hydrated for your St. Patrick's drinkathon, a hockey game was played that has to go down as one of the greatest ever seen by the writing staff at CleggThis. The Minutemen of UMASS faced off against the Wildcats of New Hampshire in the Hockey East Semi-Finals held at the Gahden (<---Boston talk for Garden.)

It was a battle of wits, heart and beer. As for the many who had to sit next to me, I think we all know who won the beer contest. Thanks again to the TD Banknorth Garden for keeping the taps flowing throughout both games. (BU played BC after UMASS and UNH.) In case you didn't hear the score, the UMASS team fell to the UNH squad in double overtime, 3-2. UNH was consistently in the top 5 in the nation all year, so to take them to 2OTs is a big deal. Another big deal was the onslaught of UMASS fans in attendance. I think we took up 3 full balcony sections. (They are still not letting state school kids sit on the first level. Its kinda like stoage on the Titanic.)

All is not lost though. UMASS has earned its first ever bid to the national tournament. They play this Friday, March 23rd against Clarkson. I wish them the best of luck and I will be searching out a bar with ESPNU to tune in.

Here is the summary to game #2, or as I like to call, the axis of evil. BU vs. BC. I was really pulling for BU on this one, mainly because I hate BC, but also because of the overwhelming support from the BU fans for UMASS through out the night. Two fine upstanding BU fans actually watched from the UMASS section. Their identities will remain hidden to protect the innocent.

Anyway, BU suffered a tough loss. They never really got into the game, or BC never allowed them, either way BC ran the ice. They must have been a lot lighter from not eating any meat on Lent. Who knows. All four teams have been granted bids to the national tournament, so hopefully we will see some rematches on the national level.

5 Comments:

  • It's more amazing that BC won, considering all the studying they must do to be the number two team in the country for athlete graduation rates. Including 96% for hockey players.

    (If this was evil JOHN, not regular JOHN, he'd leave out the fact that BU has a 94% hockey player grad rate.)

    CleggThis, you don't want to know the UMass/New Hampshire stats.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 19, 2007 8:11 AM  

  • Actually, I do want to know the UMASS/UNH stats.

    Can I guess first?

    UMASS 72%
    UNH 84%

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at March 19, 2007 1:38 PM  

  • Close, but not really close actually. According to a 2006 NCAA report:

    UMass 83% (respectable IMHO)
    UNH 100% (probably a lie)

    I'm impressed for the lot of us.

    J.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 19, 2007 2:39 PM  

  • I may have figured out why UNH did so poorly, I think this is one of their computer science classes.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8OMijrTVBU

    By Blogger johnc, at March 20, 2007 10:53 AM  

  • GO BC!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 22, 2007 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home