CleggThis

Monday, November 19, 2007

Mmmmmm...

In an effort to domesticate ourselves for the holidays this year, the staff here at CleggThis have been elected to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year. Instead of fatting up our families that we love, the staff decided to take an extra step and serve a healthy meal this year, and what better place to buy such a feast than Whole Foods. For those of you who don't know what Whole Foods is, it is a supermarket that specializes in organic, locally grown food.

I have to admit, I had a preconceived notion of the type of person who shops at this store. Two of my closest friends are Whole Foods shoppers, and they made me french toast this past weekend. They are two of the greatest people I know, so the following opinions of Whole Foods DO NOT include these two people.

As I walked into Whole Foods the first thing I noticed is that the aisles are too small for carriages. What a pain in the ass. I spent my time dodging other shoppers instead of looking for the bin of free range organic turkeys. Speaking of other shoppers...

You would think that being a new age, crunchy granola type of store the people who shop there would be nice, easy going and thoughtful of their fellow shoppers. WRONG! When I am at Stop and Shop and I get to a point in an aisle and I need to pass, the person looking at the shelves move aside. I may get a real dirty look, but they move aside. Not at Whole Foods. Everyone is so self involved that I didn't exist. And don't get me started on the parents.

OK, I will start in on the parents. In this day in age when kids can do no wrong and never fail, I have never experienced a bigger collection of brats in my life, and I also never meet a bigger collection of passive parents. I think it boils down to the fact that the type of parent who shops at Whole Foods is also the type of parent that will call a job interviewer and complain that their kids didn't get a job. By the way, these people do exist. I saw a 60 minutes interview about how HR departments have been getting angry parent calls. This is about the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. Anyway, the kids at Whole Foods are running around, yelling, screaming, and annoying me to the point of feeling the need to kick them. Not once did one of these parents say "stop it" or "I'll give you something to cry about." When I am at Stop and Shop and kids get out of hand, they either get throw into the carriage or yelled at. Now I am not in favor of child abuse, but I am in favor of child control. If your kids is being a brat, it is well within reason to let said kid know.

My next complaint is the parking lot. Now, for whatever reason there are no carriage holders for you to push your carriage into for later pickup by an employee. I understand that pushing the carriage all the way back to the store is a pain in the ass, but these Whole Food shoppers just leave them anywhere...ANYWHERE! I would have thought the people who are into buying locally grown and organic food that helps out the common man and not big corporations would not be so thoughtless to make the cart guy's job near impossible. In an effort to separate myself from this mindset, I pushed my carriage all the way back into the store.

7 Comments:

  • i agree. i hate shopping at wholefoods, for those exact reasons (which is why i don't do it). the people who go there have a false sense of entitlement, and don't realize that there are other people in the world besides themselves.

    By Blogger Val, at November 19, 2007 2:56 PM  

  • I have a feeling that you have more to say...?

    By Blogger Kyle, at November 21, 2007 1:10 AM  

  • Is 'Clegg This' French for 'Class War'?

    I don't know what Stop & Shop you buy your rose colored glasses at, but when I'm there, every week, I haven't noticed working class camaraderie that must have happened that one time you stopped in there to buy some Doritos before the big game. I think the fact that the 'self-involved' rich people didn't pay any attention to you is more about your self-image than about them.

    Calling out people who are different isn't going to make it any better.

    And remember, you are now "the type of person who shops" at Whole Foods.

    P.S. This year, I'm thankful for many things including my friends at CleggThis.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 21, 2007 8:26 AM  

  • Ever shopped at Trader Joe's? they have great healthy and organic foods for cheap prices and the people that shop there tend to be more 'earthy-crunchy' at least in my experiences.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 21, 2007 8:52 AM  

  • To John C:

    Maybe you haven't noticed, but I hate everything. Except my friends at themudthebloodthebeer.blogspot.com

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at November 22, 2007 11:30 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 29, 2007 10:15 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 29, 2007 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home