CleggThis

Monday, October 09, 2006

Watch out for Rogue Saline Solution




CleggThis has always made every effort to keep its readers not only informed, but also safe. Like my grandfather always told me, better safe than sorry (he also told me to always pee downhill.) Having been traveling around the country for the last few weeks, CleggThis has had to check his carry on bag because he refuses to buy deodorant and saline solution each week. As some of you may or may not know, the TSA (short for Transportation Safety Administration) will not allow liquids or gels of any kind in your carry on bags.

Why you might ask. The TSA and the Department of Homeland Security has raised the terror threat to orange. You can see where the orange falls in the rainbow of terror above.


History Professor and author Joseph J. Ellis wrote in the New York Times:

My first question: where does Sept. 11 rank in the grand sweep of American history as a threat to national security? By my calculations it does not make the top tier of the list, which requires the threat to pose a serious challenge to the survival of the American republic.


Here is my version of the top tier: the War for Independence, where defeat meant no United States of America; the War of 1812, when the national capital was burned to the ground; the Civil War, which threatened the survival of the Union; World War II, which represented a totalitarian threat to democracy and capitalism; the cold war, most specifically the Cuban missile crisis of 1962, which made nuclear annihilation a distinct possibility.

Sept. 11 does not rise to that level of threat because, while it places lives and lifestyles at risk, it does not threaten the survival of the American republic, even though the terrorists would like us to believe so.



While I do agree with the previous analysis, I also believe that terrorism needs to be given its due attention. What I don't agree with is the rise and fall of terror threats. If terrorism is such a huge issue with our current administration, shouldn't it ALWAYS be at a level where we are doing everything we can to stop it. The only problem with that is it wouldn't help in election time. Here is my conspiracy theory, but I believe it is justified.

The terror threat has only been raised to orange in the fall. My thought is that it only gets raised to orange around election time to help fan the fire of fear. We seem to forget the great presidential quote that has lasted the test of time "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." It it should be noted that FDR was the last president we had that actually did something good for ALL Americans. Social Security, I think we can all agree, is a pretty damn good idea. Oh, and the first person to post the bullshit of Social Security going away and we should privitize it is going to get beeaten down. I am saving the Social Security debate for another post. Anyway, nowadays it is more along the lines of "you have much to fear, and its definitely coming."

I just can't bring myself to buy into it. I have been on 5 planes in the last four weeks. Saline solution, deodorant, toothpaste and after shave have been products I HAVE NOT been able to get onto a plane with. The good folks at the TSA decided I may be trying to make a bomb in seat 22A. Last time I looked in the mirror, I wasn't Richard Dean Anderson, lead actor extraodinare of TV's MacGyver. A lighter and a book of matches HAVE been product I have been able to fly with...ON ALL 5 PLANES!!!!! How does that happen? Don't make me jump though un necessary hoops just because the color of danger is now orange and we have to instill fear in the American people to win elections. Instead, do me another favor. Why don't you ACTUALLY stop terrorism, or at least put in an effort. Maybe if there was enough troops to man the airports and seaports and any other kind of port (except those delicious after dinner wines, leave those alone) then maybe non-terrorist like me and terrorists alike woulnd't be able to get on a plane with matches and lighters.

Unfortunantely, our troops are busy with other un necessary stuff.

Awful.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Commie,
    Where would the Great Spinach Contamination of '06 rate on your pinko scale? Do you know I had to eat iceberg lettuce for like a week? And on that: has anyone seen Popeye's nemesis, Bluto, recently? I hope he's in Guantanamo. Sorry, I digest, how are you supposed to get people who are afraid of everything (like living next to minorities, rising oil prices, having to think) to vote anyway? You scare them. And if you can color-code fear so you can easily pick it out - kind of like how you know that any product in a supermarket that has green on the box is low-fat - then the terrorists have won. Wait, I mean the terrorists have lost. Uh, wait...

    America Rocks!!!

    EVIL JOHN OUT!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 10, 2006 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home