Capital One
Well, it has been about 6 months since my last post and each day I get closer and closer to cancelling my Facebook account and making CleggThis the premiere social networking site on the planet. Let me ask, would you join? For now, just to get this thing rolling again I am going to put aside my monicker of having some sort of ghost writing staff at some fantasy blog writing office and just try and get my thoughts out here as much as I can. Once that gets moving I will most likely cancel Facebook, ramp up my Twitter account and officially become like every other internet writer out there...only with much more awesome mixed in.Today's article is going to focus on the company known as Capital One. Basic human logic tells me that everyone of you out there has had a pleasant phone call at one time or another with a credit card company. Feel free to substitute "pleasant" with phrases such as "frustrating, infuriating or nonsensical." After my latest call, we can file this one under "nonsensical."
A while back, I wrote a quick post (will find link one of these days) about personal finance and what you can do to get your credit score up. Personal finance guru I am not, but I have learned some tricks to having a solid foundation of personal finance, one of them is managing your credit cards.
One quick way of keeping a good score is having account in good standing for long periods of time. This gives creditors a good look into your financial history. Having 10 different credit card accounts over 10 years doesn't look as good as having one over the same period of time. Which brings us to our nonsensical conversation with Capital One.
I have had this one credit card account for over ten years. All this time it has been with Chase, but just recently they moved to Capital One. Non big deal, I had a low balance on it and since I just got a DCU credit card I decided to pay off that balance and move it there. Side note, if you really want to be a good personal financier, go get yourself a DCU account and I will make sure to put aside some time so you can thank me. Really, I promise. Back to Capital One.
Couple of years ago I set a debt limit for myself and that all lived with Capital One. Since you should diversify yourself I was going to go halfs with the two cards. Half the debt ceiling on one, half on the other. That way I could keep my account that I have had for years, just not use it. Today I call Capital One to lower...LOWER, my credit limit. Not raise it, lower it.
They couldn't do it. If you want to know why, please feel free to comment so we can start this social networking revolution that is CleggThis.


4 Comments:
Wait you can't lower your limit but I'm sure you can raise it! Credit card companies make their money off people unlike me and you, the ones that use one credit card to pay off the other an always have a revolving debt that they're financing...
By
Jeffro, at July 29, 2011 10:49 AM
Barry, I miss you! I think we will have to finally hang out without Justin one of these days...
By
Anonymous, at July 29, 2011 6:43 PM
holy crap, CleggThis is back.
How did I stumble upon this jewel within a week of your triumphant return?
... and why would you want to lower your debt ratio? Isn't it a good idea to have lower debt to credit available ratio? ... or something?
By
Kyle, at August 05, 2011 9:59 PM
Sorry guys, I should have responded earlier. Kyle, normally, yes, having a low debt to credit ratio is good, so in theory having a high credit limit and low money owed is good. But since spanning it over two cards I have the same ratio it doesn't matter. Vanessa, yes, I miss you as well and we should meet up. Although Justin is coming up next week and I feel like we won't see each other till then. So we will have to do a no Justin night some other time. Jeff, you are, once again, my biggest fan...which makes you awesome
By
CleggoMyEggo, at August 09, 2011 11:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home