CleggThis

Sunday, June 27, 2010

13.1




It all started back in October, the Santa Speedo Run team was in full effect and I decided to lose some weight. Having to wear a speedo will do that to a man. Lost 20 lbs, mostly while running. 3 miles was a chore, 4 miles was only done every now and then. Fast forward to January 1st, I decide that I am in good enough shape to train for a 10K that I always wanted to do, and did that. After that race, I decide I am in good enough shape to start training for a half-marathon, and today, I did that as well.

If you asked me one year ago today that I would be sitting here writing this story, to say that I would call you nuts would be an under-statement. I would have called you certifiably crazy. Cigarettes, beer and cheeseburgers were a big part of my daily life, and while I always thought of myself as athletic, I wasn't an athlete. Well, now I can say I am. And not because I finished a half-marathon, but because I trained for one and never gave up, not once. There were bad days and good days, the bad pushing my desire to give up and the good making it all worth it. After today I can tell you all this with absolutely no uncertainty that ANYONE...and I mean ANYONE (yes you, reading this) can do a half-marathon. I have learned that mental toughness will always win over physical, and since I believe in the positivity and perseverance of all people, I can say this without any reservations. I also say this because there is a group of people who will be doing a half-marathon in support of our friend and colleague this fall and I know that a lot of them have fears and doubts. Well, all I say is take those fears and doubts and run them out of your system, because you can do it...I know you can.

I want to say right now that one of the things that got me through this whole process was inspiration, and you can find it everywhere you turn, you just have to look for it. Some of you may know that I was going to write a post after each long run I did, well, we all know that didn't happen. So let me first say I want to thank these people in particular, if it wasn't for you this never would have been possible.

To my father, while he may not know it, has been an inspiration my entire life and I can only hope to be half the man he is. To my mother, who looked adversity in the face and continued to fight for her and the rights of everyone. To my sister, who at some point in my life became the person I can talk to about anything and everything without judgment. To Scott, Sandy and Maura for becoming part of my family to make it even better than it already was. To Trish, Chris and Joanne for letting me a part of their day today. And last, and by no means least, all of the people in my life I am lucky enough to call friends, you make me a better person.

I was going to recap the day with a play by play of my run, but I will save that for another day, right now I am hoping this post inspires you to something great...I will leave that up to what as to what that may be.

3 Comments:

  • Congratulations, Barry! That is quite an accomplishment, and you are right to be proud of yourself. I'm still struggling with getting past the 5k mark myself, but keep hearing stories from friends that are inspiring me to keep at it. Thank you for yours.

    By Anonymous Val, at June 27, 2010 10:50 AM  

  • Val, you can do it! At the end of the day, running sucks. If it didn't, we wouldn't have cars. But crossing that finish line makes all the suckyness just float away.

    Let me know if you are doing a 5k or 10k race...I'll run with you!

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at June 27, 2010 11:27 AM  

  • You are my new King of the Road. Wear that medal with pride homie! :)

    By Blogger tmetz2003, at June 27, 2010 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home