American Idol Recap WEEK 6
Finally, a theme night I can really get into, movie night. Since my dream is to become an Academy Award winning movie editor, I can say without reservation that music is essential to any movie. Nothing can create mood, emotion and feeling better than the perfect soundtrack to a visual on screen. Side note 1: Conspiracy theory, they planned on doing this night all season but waited until after Scott MacIntyre got voted off since he wouldn't be able to relate a song AND a movie. Awful, I know, but this is how TV producers think and I would bet good money that him being gone was a big factor in the decision.
Side note 2: This show is running way over on time, so in an effort to cut it down they had only two judges per performer. Yeah, while I think Kara and Paula drown on about nothing, I would imagine the 27 commercials they run at the break has more to do with it than them. Luckily I have DVR, but God help the non-DVR viewing audience.
Let's get to it.
Allison - I was disappointed to hear that she was doing "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith. The problem here is Steven Tyler has such a unique voice that no matter how good you sing (and we all know she is the best) you are just never going to be Steven. It is the same thing with guitar players trying to play Stevie Ray, you may be great, and you might do a great version, but you are just never going to be able to play like Stevie. Must have something to do with the name Steve. Anyway, I thought she pulled it out alright. Not her best week, but no way she should get ousted.
Score: 9.0
Anoop Dog - Great song choice. A definite movie soundtrack classic. "Everything I Do" for Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. You can usually pick these out if their respective music video has clips from the movie along side the artist. Think "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney or "House Party" by Kid n' Play. This guy is every other week for me, but I think if he keeps his swagger he could make it all the way to the top 3, because some of these other early front runners are slacking.
Score: 9.0
Matt - Ehh, ok. Not great, not terrible.
Score: 7.0
Danny - Ehh, ok. Not great, not terrible.
Score: 7.0
Kris - OK, I have been saying for weeks this guy was a contender, and he proved it tonight. First off, great song choice here. I love this song, and I feel in love the night the duo performed it to win the Academy Award's best song from 2 years ago. "Falling Slowly" from Once is the epitome of what a song can do for a movie. And as much as a hate to admit it, but I agree with Kara and not Randy who said this was his defining moment.
Score: 9.5
Lil Rounds - Ahh, I don't know about this one. "The Rose" (not sure what movie this is from) was an OK choice. At first I was thinking "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal, which I think would have been better (that is from a Batman movie for those of you wondering) Maybe what Lil needs to do is get down at her local club with her husband. Go out and get nice and drunk and have a good time. I think basically what the judges are saying is that her songs are too old for her. Or she could just totally appease them and sing another Mary J. Blige song. Either way, she needs to do something, because I believe she is fast becoming Ms. "Borrowed Time."
Score: 8.0
Who SHOULD go home: Lil Rounds
Who WILL go home: Lil Rounds
I think that is it, did I forget anyone...nope, doesn't look like it. I think I mentioned everyone worth mentioning...


5 Comments:
not the greatest week on idol... of all the songs in all the movies out there, they managed to choose some of the most overplayed songs there are. fyi, "the rose" is a bette midler song from the movie with the same name. i'm surprised you don't know it. oh, well. here's hoping for a better week next week.
By
Val, at April 14, 2009 9:03 PM
I knew it was a Bette Midler song, but I guess I just didn't know the movie. Oh well, I agree, not the greatest night. I am starting to feel there are a lot of "not that great nights." Maybe this years crops just ain't that good.
By
CleggoMyEggo, at April 14, 2009 9:10 PM
Danny has to start singing upbeat songs. He is killing me. His songs have the same recipe every week; start off soft and slow, build momentumin the middle and then he blows it out at the end. Maybe he needs to break out that guitar. I am just getting sick of the same dreary love song ballad every week.
By
Anonymous, at April 14, 2009 9:12 PM
Like I said earlier this is the ear of The Haves and The Have- Nots. Let's fact it, there are only two potential winners: Amanda and Adam. I know some people like Kris but I do not see it happening for him. Anopp was lucky that Simon did not have the opportunity to comment on him becuase he would have called him out for being off key, shrill and plastic. The new format with only two judges weighing in is ridiculous. They can find the time to cut elsewhere. And has anyone else noticed how irrelevant Randy has become?I have an updated lsit of auction items.
By
kenL, at April 15, 2009 12:05 PM
Take Two:
Like I said earlier this is the Year of The Haves and The Have- Nots. Let's fact it, there are only two potential winners: Amanda and Adam. I know some people like Kris but I do not see it happening for him. Anopp was lucky that Simon did not have the opportunity to comment on him becuase he would have called him out for being off key, shrill and plastic. The new format with only two judges weighing in is ridiculous. They can find the time to cut elsewhere. And has anyone else noticed how irrelevant Randy has become?
By
kenL, at April 15, 2009 12:09 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home