CleggThis

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

American Idol Recap WEEK 5

Alright, yes, there was no blog recap last week. I was in Miami for work and didn't have time. Trust me, it wasn't as good as it sounds. I DID get to watch last week, and yes, Megan should have gone. She was one of those that was never going to make it so it was only a matter of time.

Now to this week. I can't stand when Kara says "it is got to be artistic, who are you as an artist" but now I think her point is carrying more water. Because this week I tried to imagine if one of these guy's records would sell. And I think some would, and some won't.

Theme: Year you were born.

Danny Gokey - "Stand by Me", this one, as the judges said, really spanned the spectrum here. It had 3 distinct parts, and I thought it kept getting better. Side note: they must look at dress rehearsals to determine the running order. The better performances are always later in the night. Anyway, this one was alright. And I stress "alright."
Score: 7.0

Kris Allen - I like this guy. And I actually think his rendition of "All She Wants to Do is Dance" wasn't that bad. I thought it was pretty cool actually. I am not sure I am a fan of the in the crowd performance, but all in all, not bad. I predict a top 5 finish or better for him.
Score: 8.0

Lil Rounds - OK, she got killed by the judges tonight, and rightfully so. But in her defense, I think they really just want her to sing a Mary J. Blige song, I mean, they say it ever week. I don't think she had recorded anything in 1984. Lil's performance wasn't that bad either, I thought it was quite passable. We will have to see if what the judges said are going to affect America.
Score: 8.0

Anoop Dog - Just so its on record, last week the judges said Anoop had taken a bet from some fraternity. This is what I said about him Week 1:
"This guy reminds me of the frat brother who will perform "Baby Got Back" at the keg party around 11:30pm when everyone is good and drunk word for word and all the girls go crazy. "
So yes, I DO know what I am talking about. On to this week, "True Colors" by Cyndi. Eh, this again seems like a song that has more appeal at the Hobart Ho Down then on American Idol. Yeah, he can sing, but I was asking myself "what would his record sound like"
Score: 7.0

Scott MacIntyre - I liked this. It really had a nice air of ridiculousness that I could get on board with. "The Search is Over" is such a song that would be done by the Dan Bad (that's the wedding band in Old School) that I think I was inserting the cuss words in my head, which made this better. Vocally, this was a horror show. He DID rock to old school Ibanze RG with the locking tremalo, and he gets bonus points for that (Andy knows what I am talking about.)
Score: 8.5

Allison - Fucking brilliant. She is the best singer on this show, and I haven't seen anything that would make me think otherwise. Last week was a little weak, but to harp on her outfit I think was a safety net to be able to make sure the judges had enough access to Adam's ass to plant their lips on. She is the best by far, and my pick to win it, or at least my hope.
Score: 10.0

Matt Giraud - "Part Time Lover." Whenever you do Stevie, I am going to like it. This was good, but his parrallels to Justin Timberlake are getting a little to close for me. I hope he seperates himself more so I don't see some SNL sketch about him.
Score: 9.0

Adam Lambert - Crap. I hate to do this. Yes, it was good. Not great, but I didn't want to take my Grandma's old pizza cutter to my wrist. Don't look for anymore praise from me.
Score: 0.1

Who SHOULD go home: Scott MacIntyre
Who WILL go home: Scott MacIntyre

8 Comments:

  • hooray for the return of the blog! i actually didn't see adam's performance yet because it ran over and my dvr didn't get it. i'm gonna find it online, then i'll get back with comments.

    By Anonymous Val, at April 07, 2009 8:57 PM  

  • you realy think scott will go home? i mean, everyone who reads your blog knows i'm not his biggest fan, but i feel like people like him. or feel bad for him, being blind and all. either way, i forgot i had dvr'd fringe, so i actually did get to see adam. it was good, but not his best. i still don't get why everyone hates him. anopp was good, too, and i'm glad he left the michael jackson themed jackets in his closet this week. i'm disappointed in lil- she has so much more potential than she has shown the last few weeks. i hated the way that kris allen sang in the middle of a group of girls, and danny was just ok this week. but allison was spot on, as usual, and i really liked matt giraud this week, too.

    By Anonymous Val, at April 07, 2009 9:12 PM  

  • I guess I pick Scott because who would be the one to go? Maybe Lil, but I am not sure it is her time yet. She'll be the bottom 3, but I think people are still going to give her a chance. One reason I hate Adam is because I think that the show does a lot behind the scenes to pick its winner. And I think 19 entertainment has already picked Adam to win. Which makes watching the show not that much fun. Although I said that last year with Archuleta. He is just to over the top for me.

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at April 07, 2009 9:22 PM  

  • Gawd I really love Matt - even with the resemblance to Justin. I really think he is becoming the front runner, he is so talented. I used to be a HUGE fan of Danny - but now he is getting on my nerves. I HATED his dancing with the back-up singers a few weeks back...

    Glad the blog is BACK....

    By Anonymous Stephanie, at April 07, 2009 9:24 PM  

  • Fair enough Steph. I think he is probably the most musical. He is a great piano player and all around musician. He is definitely one of the ones who deserve to be there.

    Allison
    Matt
    Danny
    Kris

    That is my list of people who should make the top runners.

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at April 07, 2009 10:24 PM  

  • I was ticked off that my DVR didnt record the last song by Adam. I just saw it online and thought it was original and "not bad" but it didnt kill. OK..so we have Adam and Allison and that was about it for me last night. I thought no one else was worth mentioning other than the fact that the blind kid needs to be escorted off the stage..and possibly given an extra shove on the last step. That's the kind of mood I'm in today...sorry kids.

    By Anonymous Bobby P, at April 08, 2009 1:05 PM  

  • Hysterical Bob!

    By Blogger CleggoMyEggo, at April 08, 2009 1:11 PM  

  • haha. i don't know this Bobby P., but i sure do like him!

    By Anonymous Val, at April 08, 2009 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home