American Idol Recap WEEK 1
Alright, its been almost a year since we have done this, and I have moved it to the web so as not to clog everyone's email inbox. So let's touch upon a couple points I want to get out there before we get right into it. A. New judge Kara, she sucks. She brings nothing to the table.
B. The talent pool this year is a lot better than I first thought. After last nights show, I was impressed at how close everyone is to each other, except for one, and we'll get to who that is.
C. The fun part about this whole thing is everyone's take on the show, so PLEASE feel free to comment on the blog. It is really easy. Just click on the comment section. If you have a Gmail account you can use that, create your own through blogger, type your name in without creating and account or just sat something anonymously.
D. I understand how lame I am for being this into the show, so you don't have to point that out. If I was you, I would want to punch me too.
Alright, let's get right into it.
Week 1, Michael Jackson. Touch premise, since I think his catalog does not lend itself to self-interpretation. To help you, I have given them scores from 1-10.
1. Lil' Rounds. She was one of my front runners coming into tonight, and I think she still is, but her rendition of "Way You Make me Feel" was shrilly. Not sure if she will get past he comparisons to Mary J. Blige, but the girl has pipes. Look for her to do better next time.
Score: 7.0
2. Scott MacIntyre: Okay, I know I am going to get shit for this, but I want to put it right out there. My conspiracy theory on him is that he is not, in fact, blind. Really, I think this is a big ploy to get sympathy. Just watch him, every now and then he looks like he knows exactly what is going on. Alright, I know, I am an asshole, but if for some reason TMZ breaks this story, you heard it hear first. I think Scott is cool, but I give him limited time. His style just isn't what I am looking for. He is good, likable and has good general music chops. But I think the blind vote is going to run out soon.
Score: 7.0
3. Danny Gokey: Danny has a similar situation as Scott, and maybe my problem here is really I think I know TOO much about each contestant. I am not going to complain about his back story, but I just feel that some contestants have a little bit of an edge in regards to the viewers maybe voting on their situations rather than the performances. On that note, this guy is one of my favorites to win. He is good, relevant, and just all around good. "PYT" is a song I always remember being performed by the Reagonomics, and I think Danny did a good job at it. Look him to be around for a while.
Score: 8.5
4. Mike Sarver: Again, a guy I know too much about. Anyway, I thought what he did last time was awful and really didn't deserve to be on the main stage, but after last night, I take that back. I thought this was a good rendition of "You Are Not Alone." Look for his likability to take him to next week.
Score: 7.5
5. Jasmine Murray: I orginally thought this was pretty good, but after some swaying from the judges, I now think she is replaceable. "I'll be There" was a good choice, and she sang it well, but I think her problem is she is being cancelled out. My theory in the show is that if you are too much like a another contestant and that person is better than you, start packing. Lil Rounds is her doppleganger, and will win out in the end.
Score: 6.0
6. Kris Allen: This was a pleasant surprise to me, since I didn't know anything about him, other than he made it through on what I considered a technical glithc in the phone system. But this guy is good, very Dave Matthews vibe going on. "Remember the Time" was a good choice, although I am convinced they muted his guitar feed.
Score: 8.0
7. Alison Iraheta: My horse to win. Flat out, I think this girl is the best, and I predict she is only going to get better, which is hard to fathom because she has EVERYTHING going for her. Great chops, stage pressence and attitude. "Give In to Me" was fantastic, even better than her "Alone" from last time.
Score: 9.5
8. Anoop Dog: Yes, I will refer to him as Anoop Dog, because it just works. This guy reminds me of the frat brother who will perform "Baby Got Back" at the keg party around 11:30pm when everyone is good and drunk word for word and all the girls go crazy. That is what he has going for him, and that ain't enough. Look for him to perform some Color Me Bad next time, if there is a next time.
Score: 6.0
9. Jorge Nunez: Ugh, this guy has been here too long already. This guy is more suited for the singer at the Marc Antony impression show on the next voyage of the Caribbean Cruise line.
Score: 4.0
10. Megan Corkrey: Well, she sure did sing an interesting song. "Rickin Robin" seems more suited for the after school program in grade school, but I gotta be honest, I thought it was good. Her saving grace is that she rarely is belting out these ridiculous notes and riffs, and she gets up there and rocks out in her cuteness. I like her, and hope she stays.
Score: 8.0
11. Adam Lambert: "B. The talent pool this year is a lot better than I first thought. After last nights show, I was impressed at how close everyone is to each other, except for one, and we'll get to who that is." Well, this is the guy. My hatred of him is far reaching, and he is really impeding on my enjoyment of the show. He is just awful, and has been the entire time. Everytime he gets up there, I think he is trying out for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The worst thing is, I truly believe he thinks he is the shit, which only makes him that much worse. I would take Archuleta over him any day. The other thing that sucks is the judges love him.
Score: 0.0
12. Matt Giraud: Good solid guy here. I think him and Scott cancel each other out, with Matt winning the battle.
Score: 8.5
13. Alexis Grace: My all around favorite. She was my tops from day 1, and I thought her performance last night was clouded by the fact the show was running late. It was the only time during the night that when they announced what she was singing before she sang, I was like "this is perfect song choice" and I think she nailed it. Yeah, she may have over sang it, but I think she did because she wanted to get the judges attention because their mouths were still busy kissing Adam's ass.
Score: 10.0
So 2 go tonight.
Who SHOULD go:
Jorge Nunez
Adam Lambert
Who WILL go:
Anoop Dog
Jorge Nunez


7 Comments:
Kara was brought in because Paula was signed to a Cheerleading show that hasn't caught on quite yet. She also put out an album at the end of last year and there was more false hope that she would be touring. Not going to happen. I heard they put Kara in there and paula basically freaked out seeing her seat filled with another idiot that looked enough like her to dilute Paula's history with the show. So.. Paula stayed on and now you have 4 judges. The show suffers from this definately.
I wont comment on each singer because Barry has done an excellent job with that. BUT...I will say that in my opinion, the talent...ALL TALENT..got off to a bad start. I agree that some performers are getting better in these later rounds, but my feeling is that the "back stories" and the "I'm better for TV than I am for Music" has been the theme this season so far.
By
Anonymous, at March 11, 2009 10:42 AM
Good point Bobby. I agree. I think that is what I was trying to say when "I know too much about them." Although I think just going by the singing last night, the talent pool is better than I once though because I think before last night it was more "TV" than singing. A good example was Kris Allen, I thought he was good, but he never got his "TV" time because he is just a normal guy from some place that didn't get hit by a tornado or had an onset of the black plague that compelled him to chase his dreams on American Idol.
By
CleggoMyEggo, at March 11, 2009 10:49 AM
Simon had the greatest line in the history of American Idol when Anoop was being critiqued on his choice of song and he said, “Well I could have sung "Bad" (by Michael Jackson) and Simon said, "Well, you did."
By
Unknown, at March 11, 2009 11:41 AM
To paraphrase Don Orsillo, "CleggThis is back and it's back big!!!"
What an analysis. I don't even like American Idol and I enjoyed it...that's how transcendent it is.
By
Greg Martin, at March 11, 2009 12:41 PM
I went back and read the post just now, and I want to apologize for all my spelling mistakes. I am convinced that Blogspot puts them in after I proof read them, but I also wrote this one while in a rush. Keep the comments coming.
By
CleggoMyEggo, at March 11, 2009 1:02 PM
what kills me the most, even beyond the sometimes bad singing...is that the band is really not as good this season. I would call the drummer out especially as needing to be voted off the show. Last season, I thought the band was really good. This season...NOT. And I'm surprised that Megan made it through. She was pretty bad.
My take on the "Judges Save" is that typically, especially last year, the runner ups are doing the best on the charts and in the industry. So..the record company that operates this show has come up with a solution to that. OHHHHH, this just in as I write this now...WHAT HAPPENED TO KELLY CLARKSON????? Did she just sing "My Life Would Suck Without Chocolate Cake?"
By
Anonymous, at March 11, 2009 8:50 PM
I agree. Kelly Clarkson is GINORMOUS.
By
Kyle, at March 13, 2009 8:52 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home