CleggThis

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bless You My Son




There is a a great show on TV nowadays called "30 Days", it airs with the other 2 greatest shows ever made (Rescue Me and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia) CleggThis is writing this on a whim because the following subject matter hits close to home. Atheism. If you have a chance to watch it, "30 Days" has recently done an episode the puts an Atheist mother of 4 into a home of Christians for 30 days. Very interesting.

The reason I found it so interesting is how it opened my eyes to my own beliefs. I have long considered myself an Athesit, but never viewed it as a negative. Maybe that is because I live in the comfy confines of the liberal thinking community of Massachusetts, but if that is true, shouldn't I be Catholic? Hell, I was raised Methodist, but my only real involvment with that was attending MYF (Methodist Youth Foundation) on Sunday nights when a repeat of the Simpsons was on. I even went to Sunday School and got confirmed in 7th grade. But then I discovered ski racing, which was held on sunday mornings, and soon there after my church going days were over. Good thing too, since I never really bought into what they were telling me. The only thing I bought was the donuts they had on sale after sunday school. Did Jesus bring me the donuts? The answer: No, but some magical donut fairy did run out to Dunkin Donuts at about 9:30am, which happen to fall right in the middle of the sermon.

But don't think I am come out of that situation with no morals. The only bad comment I have about the church was an uncalled for phone call my father got after my parents got divorced from the pastor. When my dad tried to talk to the pastor about what was going on, the pastor said he had to go. Hey thanks, my dad must have forgot that the bell choir pratice was just about to start.

What I DID come away with from church was "the golden rule" (which probably really come from 1st grade) that states treat others how you want to be treated. The way I look at living life is this: I try my best everyday to be a good person, but every now and then I fail and make mistakes. I try and learn from my mistakes. I have a conscience about what is right and what is wrong. I work hard and love my family and friends. I believe if I do the best I can everyday then something good will happen to me when I die. I have no idea what that is. I am an Atheist.

So what makes an Athesit bad? Still haven't quite figured that out.

What I have figured out is that I don't care about your religion, and you shouldn't care about mine. Religion to me is a personal thing, it is no one's business but their own. I will say this though, if you view me as a negative for being an Athesit then I would say there is something wrong with your religion, not mine.

God Bless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home